Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
IPM strongly supports Continuing Professional Development for all professionals.
We encourage our members to engage in a process of lifelong learning,
Principle and process of CPD
- Members must take individual responsibility for their own professional development
- They must maintain a record of CPD activities undertaken throughout the year.
- A range of activities should be undertaken in order to build up CPD over the year.
Activities can be broken down into verifiable and non-verifiable activities, and for verifiable activities evidence of attendance and or completion must be supplied such as in the form of a certificate or assessment of work.
Designated Members are expected to complete a CPD log evidencing activities that count towards a total points allocation of 18 points per calendar year.
Guidance on the IPM Points Based CPD System.
- 18 points must be accumulated and evidenced over the membership year (12 months).
- Points must come from a range of activities.
- Total points for one membership year (12 months) cannot all be allocated to the same type of activity, for example, attending conferences.
- There should be a mix of structured and informal learning or self-directed learning.
|Degree, Diploma or Certificate||16 points – study duration 1 year 12 points – study duration 8 months or less 6 points – study duration 4 months or less|
|Courses, training events, conferences||3 points per full day, 1.5 points per half day|
|Breakfast & evening events||1.5 point|
|E-Learning (webinars, podcasts, online video)||1 point for each session|
|Project work||9 points for involvement in projects duration 6 months – 1 year 5 points projects of less than 6 months|
|Delivering training (Facilitation)||6 points for each training session or presentation delivered outside of normal scope of work – including voluntary basis.|
|Mentoring / coaching||2 points for each session|
|Reading books||2 points for each HR/Business book read|
|Authoring books||14 points for a book you author or 9 as co-author|
|Reading articles, blogs, engaging on social platforms||0,5 point per activity Maximum of 6 points can be claimed in this section.|
|Authoring articles||3 points per article|
|Blogging||2 points per blog you write, 10 points for maintaining a regular blog (at least monthly post)|
|Committee participation||9 points for attending meetings and contributions. You must attend at least 75% of meetings to claim the full 6 points. Only one committee participation to be claimed per year with attendance register as POE|
|Judging award submissions||9 points for judging of IPM award submissions, or other HR/People awards.|
|Volunteering||9 points for work related or community benefit voluntary work, using HR or business skills (3 points per day, 1.5 points per half day)|